Thursday, November 28, 2013

successes and failures part 4 - the rabbits

Raising the rabbits has been pretty fun. I love the babies, they are just so cute. I love watching them grow bigger each day. I love dragging myself out of bed in the morning, and as soon as I get down there they are all hopping towards me, waiting for food and fresh water. I can't go long without smiling. While processing day is always hard, I know that they lived good lives. 

Failure - Late start breeding. We didn't have a litter to sell until July. Next year we will start breeding in January with a heat lamp in the big hutch, giving us late May to early June rabbits for sale.

Success - Demand. We sold all the rabbits we had to offer within two weeks of having them available. Next year we will up the price from $7 a pound to $8 a pound. 

Both - The rabbit tractors we used in the front yard worked pretty well, except for several escapes. Next year we need to make bigger tractors to allow for a 6 inch run of fencing along the edges to prevent digging out. 

Failure - How much is it worth? I'm not sure yet, but I don't think we made enough money to justify the amount we spent in feed. We need to work on a fodder system to grow our own grasses to feed, and we are discussing the idea of focusing on mushroom logs more and not selling the rabbits at all, although I don't think we are going to eliminate them completely. 

I think we would enjoy the entire process more if we we were eating more rabbit is all.

Live simply,

Angela and Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment